Ok, so let’s start with the server. First, you’re running PHP 5.6. You should be running 7. Here’s why.
- Site speed – PHP 7 can handle uncached hits 2-3x faster than on PHP 5.5
- Resource efficiency – An upgrade to PHP 7 is estimated to bring 30-50% improvements in memory consumption
- Service more concurrent users – PHP 7 can serve up to 3x as many requests per second and handle more traffic with the same number of resources
- Return type declarations – You can now specify return type variables with PHP 7
- Error handling – Many fatal errors have been replaced with object-oriented exceptions to make it easier to find and address bugs
- Long-term support – Lower technical debt with ongoing support of bug fixes, security patches, and maintenance updates for years to come